Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.) Records, 1944-1965
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: This small set of organizational records consists of meeting minutes, treasurer's records, materials pertaining to the 1953 tornado in Flint, Michigan, and assorted programs, clippings, and historical notes contributed by members.
Held at:
Mennonite Church USA Archives
3145 Benham Ave, Ste. 1
Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: 574-523-3080
Email: JasonK [at] MennoniteUSA.org
Record Series Number: X/023
Created by: Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.)
Volume: 0.2 Linear Feet
Acquired: 02/10/1964.

10/22/1997, Tobe E. Schmucker, Acc. 6868

Additional materials received from David Anderson, 10/28/1996

Arrangement: Flat
Biographical Note for Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.) :

Crusaders for Peace was formed in 1949 in Northern Indiana as an association of Civilian Public Service (CPS) alumni from Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana who sought to further peace and non-resistance in Christian life.  Sponsored by the Mennonite Central Committee Peace Section, Crusaders for Peace, the organization planned peace rallies and promoted voluntary service.  In 1953, Crusaders for Peace organized an emergency relief unit, and on June 8th of that year, a tornado destroyed a lage section of Flint, Michigan.  Although  not  ready to deploy its new emergency relief unit, Crusaders for Peace sponsored a temporary disaster relief unit of Amish and Mennonite volunteers.  On average, 25 men per day served for five weeks, repairing and rebuilding homes.

The organization disbanded in 1964.

Access Restrictions: These materials are open for public research.
Subject Index
Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.)
Disaster relief - United States
Mennonites
Voluntary service
Languages of Materials
English [eng]
Rights/Use Restrictions: Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright not owned by the Mennonite Church USA Archives.
Acquisition Notes: Lloyd Conrad, Acc. 1716
PreferredCitation: Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.) Records, 1944-1965.  X-023.  Mennonite Church USA Archives. Elkhart, Indiana.