Browse: All Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Crossroads Bible Church (Gulfport, Miss.) | Mennonite Archival Commons

Name: Crossroads Bible Church (Gulfport, Miss.)
Variant Name: Wayside Mennonite Church (Gulfport, Miss.)


Historical Note: Crossroads Bible Church (Mennonite Church), until 1957 called Wayside Mennonite Church, four miles north of Gulfport, Mississippi, is a member of the South Central Mennonite Conference. The congregation was organized 13 May 1948, with Edward J. Miller as pastor, who was still serving in 1958. The members are largely natives of South Mississippi. In the spring of 1945 a Civilian Public Service (CPS) camp was established in the area of Gulfport, the men of which assisted in a union Sunday school in the camp church. In the fall of 1947 J. W. Hess held revival meetings at the Gulfhaven church. In just a little more than a year from the time the first members were baptized, a building was erected and a pastor placed in charge of a growing congregation, which in 1958 numbered 25 members.
Sources: Hershey, Paul. "Crossroads Bible Church (Gulfport, Mississippi, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online.1959. Web. 15 October 2012. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C7675.html.
Note Author: Paul Hershey





Page Generated in: 0.066 seconds (using 109 queries).
Using 6.52MB of memory. (Peak of 6.59MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Hosted by LibraryHost