Browse: All Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Portland Mennonite Church (Portland, Or.) | Mennonite Archival Commons

Name: Portland Mennonite Church (Portland, Or.)


Historical Note: Portland Mennonite Church (formerly called Men­nonite Gospel Mission and later Mennonite Mission Church), located at 2235 Northwest Savier Street, Portland, Oregon, was opened by the Pacific Coast District (Mennonite Church) Conference on 12 November 1922, and organized as a church 27 July 1924, with 23 mem­bers. In 1955 it became an independent congrega­tion. During its first 25 years the following served as superintendents: Allan Good, Henry Yoder, Paul Roth, Glen Whitaker, Marcus Lind, Paul Yoder, and Claud M. Hostetler. In 1947 there were 58 members; in 1958 there were 93. The erection of the church building in 1927 was a church-wide project. A city-wide evangelistic campaign in 1939 conducted by C. F. Derstine of Kitchener, Ontario, helped to present the church and her doctrine to the public.
Sources:

Miller, Myrtle. "Portland Mennonite Church (Portland, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 July 2010.

http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/portland_mennonite_church_portland_oregon_usa.

Note Author: Miller, Myrtle





Page Generated in: 0.09 seconds (using 115 queries).
Using 6.52MB of memory. (Peak of 6.59MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Hosted by LibraryHost