Browse: All Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Mennonite Community Association | Mennonite Archival Commons

Name: Mennonite Community Association


Historical Note:

Mennonite Community Association was organized in 1946, its stated purpose being "to support and strengthen the Christian community as expressed in Mennonite teachings and practices; to stimulate community interests—religious, social, cultural, economic—among the Mennonite people; to publicize the Mennonite way of life through the medium of publications and any other means deemed advisable by the Association."

The major undertaking of the Association was the founding of the Mennonite Community magazine which it published from January 1947 to October 1949. Beginning in November 1949 and continuing to December 1953 the magazine was published by the Mennonite Publishing House. Beginning in January 1954 the Mennonite Community and the Christian Monitor were discontinued and a new periodical, Christian Living (A Magazine for Home and Community), took their place. The Mennonite Community Association maintained a close relationship to the new periodical, two of its officers serving, as consulting editors of Christian Living.

In 1950 the Association, in cooperation with the John C. Winston Company, published the Mennonite Community Cookbook, a compilation of 1,400 favorite family recipes collected by Mary Emma Showalter from Mennonite communities. The Association sponsored an annual Conference on Christian Community Relations and supported the work of the Mennonite Research Foundation, and after 1953 awarded several scholarships annually to advanced students who show promise in the area of Christian community leadership.

Sources: Hershberger, Guy F. "Mennonite Community Association." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 15 Jan 2014.
Note Author: Hershberger, Guy F.





Page Generated in: 0.071 seconds (using 109 queries).
Using 6.54MB of memory. (Peak of 6.61MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Hosted by LibraryHost