Browse: All Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.) | Mennonite Archival Commons

Name: Crusaders for Peace (Goshen, Ind.)


Historical Note:

Crusaders for Peace was formed in 1949 in Northern Indiana as an association of Civilian Public Service (CPS) alumni from Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana who sought to further peace and non-resistance in Christian life.  Sponsored by the Mennonite Central Committee Peace Section, Crusaders for Peace, the organization planned peace rallies and promoted voluntary service.  In 1953, Crusaders for Peace organized an emergency relief unit, and on June 8th of that year, a tornado destroyed a lage section of Flint, Michigan.  Although  not  ready to deploy its new emergency relief unit, Crusaders for Peace sponsored a temporary disaster relief unit of Amish and Mennonite volunteers.  On average, 25 men per day served for five weeks, repairing and rebuilding homes.

The organization disbanded in 1964.






Page Generated in: 0.071 seconds (using 109 queries).
Using 6.52MB of memory. (Peak of 6.59MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Hosted by LibraryHost