Mennonite Research Foundation (Goshen, Ind.) Administrative Records, 1944-1959
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Records pertaining to the decision-making, finanical, and other administrative aspects of the research agency of the (old) Mennonite Church.  Materials include founding documents, publicity materials, meeting minutes, budgets, financial reports, newsletters and other publicity materials, and correspondence of the executive director and treasurer.
Held at:
Mennonite Church USA Archives
3145 Benham Ave, Ste. 1
Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: 574-523-3080
Email: JasonK [at] MennoniteUSA.org
Record Series Number: V/07/005
Created by: Mennonite Research Foundation (Goshen, Ind.)
Volume: 3.5 Linear Feet
Arrangement: Flat
Biographical Note for Mennonite Research Foundation (Goshen, Ind.) :

The Mennonite Research Foundation began operation in 1947 as a semi-autonomous, chartered agency of the Mennonite Board of Education.  Its mandate was "to conduct research through its own organization either on its own initiative or at the request of other agencies" and to "aid and co-ordinate research carried on by other agencies as may be requested and needful".  Thus it was to serve the needs of the Mennonite Church as a whole.

The Mennonite Research Foundation took on a wide variety of projects and published a number of reports in the Gospel Herald.  Projects sometimes resulted in dissertations, books, and study papers.  Some projects were terminated without completion, while others were declared complete without fulfilling the original scope.  A few unfinished projects were transferred to the Historical Committee in 1959.

Prominent staff members of the Mennonite Research Foundation included A. J. Metzler (treasurer from 1947 to 1959) and Melvin Gingerich (director of research from 1947-1955, 1958-1959), and Guy F. Hershberger (acting director of research from 1955 to 1958).  Board members included Paul Erb, chairman;  H. S. Bender, secretary;  the presidents of Eastern Mennonite College, Goshen College, and Hesston College;  and a member of the Board of Education.  Also represented were the Publication Board and the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities.

In August of 1959 the Mennonite General Conference decided to give the function of the Research Foundation a more official status within the church organization.  Thus the Mennonite Research Foundation ended, having its work absorbed by the Historical Committee.  The combined operation was named the Mennonite Historical and Research Committee.

Access Restrictions: These materials are open for public research.
Subject Index
Mennonite Research Foundation (Goshen, Ind.)
Genres/Forms of Material
Correspondence
Languages of Materials
English [eng]
Rights/Use Restrictions: Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright owned by the Mennonite Church USA Archives.
PreferredCitation: Mennonite Research Foundation (Goshen, Ind.) Administrative Records, 1944-1959.  V-07-05.  Mennonite Church USA Archives - Goshen.  Goshen, Indiana.